The Musée des Beaux-Arts in Dijon is one of the oldest museums in France. It is also one of the most impressive not only in terms of its huge collections ranging from Egyptian art to the 20C but also because of the historical interest of the museum building itself – the Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy.
Two periods merit particular attention: the late 18C (corresponding to the foundation of the Museum) and Burgundian art of the 15C.
Paintings share the limelight with sculptures , drawings and the decorative arts. The works are characterised by a local specificity and an encyclopaedic range, both rooted in the history of the Museum and both nurtured by its policy of acquisitions.
The old great hall, which became the Salles des Gardes (Guard Room), bears witness to the pomp and splendour of the Burgundian Court. The tombs of the dukes, originally in the Chartreuse de Champmol (the burial place of the ducal family) were installed here in 1827 by Févret de Saint-Mémim, considered as the Museum’s second founder. From the same source come the two large sculpted altarpieces characteristic of the international Gothic style. The more famous of the two has kept its panels painted by Melchior Broederlam. The Salle du Chapitre (Chapter House) contains souvenirs of the Sainte-Chapelle and the Toison d’Or (Golden Fleece), the order of chivalry created by Philippe le Bon in 1430. Lastly, the Museum possesses a large collection of works by Flemish, Swiss and German Primitives.
Closed on Tuesdays.
Closed on January 1st, May 1st and 8th, July 14th, November 1st and 11th, December 25th.
The Contemporary Art section (Granville donation), the Ducal Kitchen and the Egyptian Room are closed from 11.30am to 1.45pm.
Bookshop : A wide range of publications and articles connected with the Museum’s collections. Same opening times as the Museum.
Graphic art study: about 9000 drawings and 80,000 engravings, regularly updated with new acquisitions. Open to research workers by appointment with a Museum curator.
Library and information: The library (10,000 volumes) and the information centre are open free of charge to research workers on Thursday from 1.45 to 5.45pm.
Guided group visits for adults and schools
These visits (one-off or cycles) may cover a particular period or subject or may involve a plastic exploration or an approach to a technique. By appointment.
• Painting, Sculpture • Folklore, Fine Arts, Decorative Art, History, Contemporary Art • Palace • Art Nouveau or Deco, Baroque, Classic, Contemporary, Gothic, Modern, Renaissance, 19th century
Information & reservation...
Musée des Beaux Arts Palais des Ducs 21000 Dijon
Tel. : +33 (0)3 80 74 52 09
E-mail : email@example.com
Internet : mba.dijon.fr
From 2013/11/02 to 2014/04/30 From 10:00 to 17:00
From 2014/05/02 to 2014/10/31 From 09:30 to 18:00